Since 2002 when the institution of criminal prosecution for legal persons came into force in Estonia, our lawyers have represented clients in a number of criminal proceedings (mainly relating to cartel cases). The firm is one of the very few in the market that participated in the drafting of the Comments for the Penal Code of Estonia.
Participation in field-related legislation
Comments for the Penal Code
A selection of deals & cases
- Representing Nordecon AS, a leading listed construction group, in a litigation concerning a criminal proceeding
- Advising the members of the supervisory board in a misdemeanour procedure related to infringement of residence permit regime established by the Aliens Act
- Advising the State Agency of Medicines in a dispute with Merck Sharp & Dohme OÜ concerning advertisement of pharmaceutical which resulted in the largest misdemeanour penalty in Estonia of all times
- Advising the national energy company Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts in a misdemeanour procedure related to infringement of dominant position
- Advising a client in one of the largest cartel criminal matters in Estonia. According to the indictment by the State Prosecutor' s Office companies engaged in wood haulage concluded agreements prejudicial to competition to share public procurements, which resulted in damage to the state
- Advising a large corporation in a criminal procedure related to alleged infringement of dominant position
- Advising a company active in mining in a dispute concerning mining permit
Strong individuals and an extensive caseload make Raidla Lejins & Norcous a leading firm for dispute resolution. Managing partner and litigator Toomas Vaher is president of the Estonian Bar and practice head Arne Ots is expert in public procurement and white-collar crime cases.
Market sources value Toomas Vaher for his impressive experience and knowledge. Rising in the rankings this year, Arne Ots earns praise from peers for his professional prowess, and is described by commentators as a key figure within the team.
CHAMBERS GLOBAL, 2012