Intellectual Property (IP)
Raidla Lejins & Norcous is the only law firm in Estonia with a partner specializing in the IP field and one of two with a European trademark and design attorney in its IP team.
The firm has over 10 years of experience in handling all types of registration matters and disputes (trademarks, copyrights, patents, designs, domain name rights, and data protection); in all types of infringement disputes (dealing with police, customs and court matters); and at all levels - Estonian, European and international (from the patent office to the Supreme Court, from the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market to the European Court of Justice).
The firm is a member of Estonian Association of Information Technology and Telecommunications (www.itl.ee) and is its main legal counsel. The IP team also regularly advises the Estonian Authors´ Society.
Raidla Lejins & Norcous is the winner of the 2012 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award - “Intellectual Property Law Firm of the Year in Estonia”
Participation in field-related legislation
Trade Marks Act
A selection of deals & cases
- Advising Estonian leading IT developer in a dispute regarding performance of a software development agreement to produce a national database/registry
- Advising BIGBANK AS in the acquisition of the bank´s "FORPOST" information system software
- Advising global pharmaceutical companies AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Bayer and Lundbeck in disputes against producers of generic pharmaceuticals over patent infringement and nullity matters
- Advising the Estonian Authors´ Society against Viasat AS over interpretation of cable transmission and SAT TV exceptions under the EU cable TV directive
- Advising Zeroturnaround OÜ, the producer of innovative software technologies, in the sale of 43% of its shares to Bain Capital, LLC.
- Advising Eesti Mündiäri OÜ in a dispute with a previous CEO who started a rival business across the Baltics
- Advising AS Kiil & Co, Estonian leading liquor wholesaler, in a dispute with Departementul Agroindustrial „Moldova-Vin” over using trade marks BELÎI AIST and БЕЛЫЙ АИСТ in Estonia
- Advising Aktsiaelts TV3 in a landmark case concerning parody of copyright protected work protection of TV show formats
- Advising the State Agency of Medicines in a dispute concerning the lawfulness of advertising of prescription-only pharmaceuticals under EU directive. The dispute has European-wide impact since Estonian court decided to ask preliminary ruling from the European Court of Justice
- Advising the portal flirtic.ee, a social network for flirting and meeting new people, in elaboration of licence agreement
- Advising the leading Estonian dairy producer piimandusühistu E-Piim in their claim against smaller producer over using the similar trade mark for cheese (geographical markand descriptive content)
- Advising ZAO Gruppa Predpriyatij OST, producer of various beverages, in a trade mark dispute with Spirits International B.V. who claimed that the trademark used by our client (STOLNAYA) is similar to theirs (STOLICHAYA)
- Advising Mediq group in the acquisition of the Health Care Trade business of Oriola-KD in the Baltic and Nordic countries
- Advising Quattromed HTI Laborid OÜ in the sale of company´s shares to AS BaltCap
This “major player in the Estonian trademark field” wins praise for its “extremely dedicated” IP department, which has a key focus on trademark work. It offers both contentious and non-contentious services, attracting clients from the apparel, pharmaceutical and alcoholic beverages industries, among others. Stand-out names include Ants Nomper, “a first-class litigator with a growing trademark practice”, and colleague Mari Must, who is “a great trademark attorney with a highly intelligent approach”.
WORLD TRADEMARK REVIEW, GOLD CATEGORY, 2012
Raidla Lejins & Norcous is a leading firm in IP, and notably fields the market´s only full-time pharmaceuticals and biotech IP partner in Ants Nõmper. The team has handled patent infringement disputes for Bayer and AstraZeneca, including the very first patent litigation in Estonia, and acted for TV3 in a landmark case concerning copyright protection of TV show formats.
This firm is noted for its pan-Baltic prowess in corporate and general business law, and also stands out for its comparable strength in IP. The team's expertise covers a variety of matters, including trade mark and patent litigation. It is also renowned for its work in the IT sector, with several lawyers focusing on this area. Sources say: "The firm understands the technical aspects of a transaction and always delivers on time". Department head Ants Nõmper draws comprehensive praise for his strong academic background and solid transactional experience. He specialises in privacy and data protection-related IP matters, and is also known for his work in copyrights. Mari Must is another key member of the team. Formerly a patent agent, she is well versed in the technical and procedural aspects of patents and licensing.
CHAMBERS EUROPE, 2012