Energy and Infrastructure
Raidla Lejins & Norcous has the largest team and more than 15 years of experience with complex local and cross-border energy and infrastructure projects. The national energy company - Eesti Energia - is one of the firms´ core clients and the experience of the team includes projects involving multimillion power plants, the largest windmill parks, a nuclear power plant, oil shale operations in the US and Jordan, emissions trading, novelty power production technologies as well as regular participation in drafting regulations in the field.
The team also deals with major construction projects through its work with one of the largest listed construction groups, Nordecon. Its experience in the field ranges from advising on public procurement matters in road construction to commercial real estate development and environmental law related matters.
The experience of the firm in infrastructure work includes the development of ports and terminals (including Port of Sillamäe and a number of port operators in Muuga harbour), the Estonian-Finnish submarine cable, hotels and shopping centres as well as the development of a charging network for electric cars across Estonia.
Raidla, Lejins & Norcous is one of the few firms in the market with lawyers specializing in environmental law matters.
Participation in field-related legislation
Electricity Market Act
Law of Obligations Act
Law of Property Act
Public Procurement Act
Merchant Shipping Act
A selection of deals & cases
- Advising Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts, the national energy company, in connection with the procurement and construction of the new greenfield 600MW oil shale fired power plant in Narva, Estonia. The project valued EUR 1 billion is the largest single investment ever in Estonia
- Advising Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts in the construction of an oil shale fired power plant with a capacity of up to 900 MW in Jordan
- Advising Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts in connection with the participation of the firm in the US oil shale project as an equity investor and technology provider
- Advising Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts in connection with the establishment of a joint-venture company with Outotec GMBH, a leading international technology development company, for further development of Enefit technology for production of raw shale oil out of oil shale
- Advising Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts in connection with the procurement and construction of the desulphurisation (DeSox) units in the existing oil shale fired power plants in Narva, Estonia
- Advising Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts in the construction of a synthetic crude oil plant with daily production capacity of 38,000 barrels in Jordan
- Advising Aktsiaselts SILLAMÄE SADAM in connection with the development of a new commercial port in the North-East Estonia (Sillamäe)
- Advising Aktsiaselts SILLAMÄE SADAM in connection with the sale of oil shale oil handling terminal and execution of related agreements
- Advising Wärtsilä Finland Oy in a construction contract to supply two complete power plants with a total output of 250 MW for Elering AS, the Estonian transmission system operator with a total value of EUR 129 million
- Advising the leading listed construction group Nordecon AS in a number of procurement projects related to road construction (Aruvalla-Kose road, Loo-Maardu road, Jõhvi-Kukruse road), construction of infrastructure and other public projects (water management system of Maardu city, Ahtme thermal power plant, seaplane hangars in Tallinn Seaplane Harbour, reconstruction of railway crossings etc)
- Advising Rail Garant Estonia OÜ, one of the largest transport companies in Russia, in concluding an agreement with Tallinna Sadam AS and Eesti Raudtee AS to develop a container terminal with the cost of EUR 130 million in Muuga Harbor
- Advising Sihtasutus KredEx (The Estonian Credit and Export Guarantee Fund) in a procurement to develop a quick charging and operator service station network for electric cars
- Advising Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts in the procurement and construction of the new greenfield waste fired power plant in Iru, Estonia
- Advising Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts in connection with the purchase of the development company and development of the largest windmill park in Estonia, Aulepa
- Advising Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts in connection with the development of the project of the construction of a new nuclear power plant in Lithuania
- Advising Eesti Energia Aktsiaselts in connection with the construction and operation of the underwater electricity cable (ESTLINK 1) between Estonia and Finland
- Advising on the development and financing of steel galvanising plant of Galvex Estonia OÜ (ArcelorMittal Tallinn OÜ) in the Port of Muuga
- Advising Aktsiaselts E.R.S. in the claim against Estonian Regulatory Authority to dispute the railway infrastructure fees established by the authorities
- Advising the establishment of AS DBT, the operator of the largest fertiliser terminal in Estonia, as well as advising on their financing and construction of the dry-bulk (fertiliser) terminal in the Port of Muuga in Tallinn
- Advising Aktsiaselts Coal Terminal in connection with the development of a new dry-bulk (coal) terminal in the Port of Muuga, Tallinn
- Advising Trafigura Beheer B.V. in connection with investment into a new terminal and logistics company operating on the Baltic Sea within the field of transport of oil products.
This firm is widely regarded as one of the top for matters involving energy and infrastructure projects. Clients profit from its extensive knowledge in work involving ports and terminals, and from its experience on several public procurement and environmental law mandates.
Raidla Lejins & Norcous advises on cross-border contracts, taxation, regulatory compliance, environmental law, competition, insurance, and financing matters. Jaanus Ikla, a former general counsel to the Port of Tallinn, has substantial experience.
Sources are quick to praise Jaanus Ikla for the expertise he can offer on transactions in the real estate and energy sectors, as well as the core M&A work.
CHAMBERS GLOBAL, 2012
The team at Raidla Lejins & Norcous offers the full spectrum of services, from zoning and planning to construction and advice on infrastructure projects. It acts for both domestic and international clients. Jaanus Ikla is described as "the go-to lawyer for everything from real estate financings to property-related disputes." Clients and peers alike commend his leadership skills and hands-on approach.
CHAMBERS EUROPE, 2012
Raidla Lejins & Norcous acts for developers, investors, construction and energy companies on major projects. It advised Wärtsilä Finland on a -130m construction agreement with an electricity transmission system operator, and represented Vopak EOS in a dispute over the construction of Tallinn Prison. Jüri Raidla is a key figure in the group, which is headed by Jaanus Ikla.