Dispute Resolution, Litigation and Arbitration
The Dispute Resolution team of Raidla Lejins & Norcous is widely recognised as one of the largest and most experienced litigation teams in Estonia. Over the years, it has successfully handled many landmark cases. On a day to day basis, members of the team are engaged in complex local and international disputes in a wide variety of substantive areas including real estate, construction, insurance, trademark, energy, telecommunication, tax, customs and competition law.
Senior members of our Dispute Resolution team also serve regularly as arbitrators in domestic and in international arbitral proceedings (Tallinn, Stockholm, London, and Luxembourg) involving Estonian law. The firm is unique in its cross border and cross disciplinary team approach that insures that each and every matter is handled with uniform standards of excellence.
In addition to our traditional litigation practice, Raidla Lejins & Norcous has developed specialised teams for handling bankruptcy restructuring matters as well as public procurement disputes.
A selection of deals & cases
- Advising TeliaSonera AB in a dispute with the previous shareholders regarding fair price paid in the course of squeeze-out of the minority shareholders of Aktsiaselts Eesti Telekom
- Advising the leading listed construction group Nordecon AS in a number of public procurement disputes related to road construction (Aruvalla-Kose road, Loo-Maardu road, Jõhvi-Kukruse road)
- Advising BLRT Grupp AS, major shipyard in the region, regarding disputes on transactions with the shares of the company
- Advising DNB A/S Eesti filiaal in courts regarding disputes with OÜ Levadia Metall on its restructuring plan
- Advising Swedbank AS and Swedbank Liising AS in courts regarding disputes on insolvency and proposed restructuring of AS Väätsa Agro, Estonian largest dairy farm
- Advising AS Vopak E.O.S., the largest independent oil products terminal operator in the Baltic States, in numerous disputes including the dispute over the development of the new Tallinna Vangla in Maardu as well as the dispute with the state and AS Eesti Raudtee over railway infrastructure royalties
- Advising and representing the national energy company Eesti Energia AS regarding a dispute with neighbors over building permit of new combined power plant at Iru using waste treatment for production of energy
- Advising the Estonian Ministry of Environment in a claim submitted by several private individuals for the annulment of the extraction permit issued to Kiviõli Keemiatööstuse OÜ for the mining works in the Põhja-Kiviõli II oil shale open cast mine; and related disputes (damage claims, etc)
- Advising AS Solaris Keskus, the owner of premium entertainment and shopping center in Tallinn, against construction contractor
- Advising a major Estonian company in a dispute with a Lithuanian company at the arbitration court of CCCF
- Advising OÜ AIVA Baltic in proceedings against the Estonian Tax and Customs Board regarding taxation of the goods stored at the time of Estonia' s accession to the EU - a landmark case that involved issues of Estonian and EU law regarding the rights of a member state to impose financial sanctions on companies for storing goods in excess of limits allowed by the EU
- Delfi case: advising an individual in a landmark case against AS Delfi, an Estonian leading internet media company, creating a precedent on matters whether and under what conditions is the media company responsible for the online comments of the readers linked to an article made public through the internet based news portal
This dynamic Baltic firm continues to dominate the market after another successful year. It is particularly prized for its commercial litigation practice, with sources noting that it excels in complex disputes. Of late it has seen a rise in energy, construction, and shareholder disputes, and it recently successfully represented Vopak in a dispute against the state. In another highlight the team represented the Ministry of the Environment in a EUR60 million claim brought against it for the annulment of an extraction permit issued to oil shale plant Kiviõli Keemiatööstuse.
Sources say: "The team relates well to the client and puts itself in our shoes."
Market sources value Toomas Vaher for his impressive experience and knowledge. Rising in the rankings this year, Arne Ots earns praise from peers for his professional prowess, and is described by commentators as a key figure within the team.
CHAMBERS GLOBAL, 2012
The compact litigation team at this top-ranking firm handles big-ticket disputes for both local clients and subsidiaries of foreign companies. It also acts on arbitration cases. "I can always be sure that our interests will be represented in the best way," says a satisfied client.
CHAMBERS EUROPE, 2012
Strong individuals and an extensive caseload make Raidla Lejins & Norcous a leading firm for dispute resolution. Recent work includes advising DnB Nord Bank and Swedbank in disputed restructuring plans. Managing partner and litigator Toomas Vaher is president of the Estonian Bar; Ants Nõmper is developing a reputation for IP and TMT disputes; and practice head Arne Ots is expert in public procurement and white-collar crime cases.